Create a GIF (animated image) with PowerPoint

Background

There have been a number of occasions where I've needed to create images and animated images for different SharePoint related projects.  I've used a number of tools in the past with varying success.  More recently I've been using PowerPoint to create custom images, which has saved me time and allowed me to do what I wanted without buying new tools or using free ones with adds.

Although I had been using PowerPoint to create images it was only recently I discovered a new feature in PowerPoint that allows you to create GIFs "Graphic Interchange Format". GIFs are animated or static images. 

There could be many reasons you want to create an animated image most common would be to display an action with moving images rather than creating a video. Another reason might just be that you want to jazz up your SharePoint page or presentation. 

Here's an example of a GIF I created in PowerPoint.



Steps to create your GIF

To create an animated image follow these 12 steps (alternatively keep scrolling to see my video):

  1. Open PowerPoint
  2. Create a slide for each image you wish to include 
  3. Insert the image or media onto each slide
  4. Add any animations or transition effects When doing this you can also add animations and transitions.   
  5. Review the slides 
  6. Select File from the PowerPoint ribbon (menu)
  7. Now select Export from the menu
  8. In the export pane select Create an Animated GIF
  9. Format the quality and time
  10. Select the slides to include
  11. Create GIF
  12. On the Save As screen save it to a location you can find later.

It only takes a few seconds for the GIF to be created and saved to the selected location. Once you have completed these steps you should have your new GIF ready to add to a presentation or site.

Further resources

Watch my YouTube video to see the steps on screen or visit the Microsoft guidance here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of the Champion Management Platform App

Review of Microsoft 365 Learning Pathways

SharePoint Site Design: An Introduction